I was actually going to write this update tomorrow or the day after, but last night I got so much work done on the objectives that I felt if I didn’t post this today, by the time I got around to it they’d be done, and it would be a much shorter update!
So, here is the current state of the Warmachine “Battlefield Accessory” objective markers:
I’ve noted previously that they will also be used for Dark Age, and any other game that might require 50mm objectives. In fact, I am probably going to be using them for Dark Age much more than anything else, as many of that games’ scenarios require objectives.
So I started with the German Red Brown brush-on primer by Vallejo, the same one I used on the Khador Battlegroup. This gave a nice base to paint most of the colours on these objectives so far, aside from the lighter colours, of course. The browns, metals and reds have gone on just fine, and I have a feeling the other colours I will be using will go on well, too.
I’m actually enjoying painting these, to be honest. For some reason, I’m not sure why. I started off messily brushing on the browns on the crates and barrel (no affiliation with the over-priced home furnishing store my parents love to shop at), the beige on the cloths and the orange and red on the ‘supply depot’ one. At this point it was looking pretty meh. But the next step, just to spice things up, was to start adding metals. And oh boy did they start looking good! I still have some other base colours to shlop on, but adding the metals really did offer the models a fresh look mid-project.
I’d say I’m about halfway there, now. Tonight I’ll see if I can get the rest of the base colours down before finishing the metals and other detail colours, touching up mistakes and then adding the washes. I’m not looking for anything spectacular here, as you should be used to with my work. But if they look neat on the table, being fought over by heavy warjacks or post-apocalyptic warriors, it’s all good.
And here is the current state of my Bloodstone Tribe Ogres:
Well, the Ogre (a.k.a. ‘Bulls’) unit, at least. I am painting these guys first to see if I can learn anything for painting the rest of the army.
So far I have learned that unlike the German Red Brown primer I have been using, the Desert Tan Base brush-on primer does not lay down as solid a coat. In fact, aside from the Ogre with the extra layer of flesh painted on him, the unit has gotten one full-body coat of primer, and then a second coat just on the skin. I was hoping that I could just paint the skin areas with the primer and then dip then from there, but it’s just not coming out solid enough.
So so far it looks as if, for the skin areas at least, I will need two coats of primer and then two watered-down coats of Ryn Flesh to get the nice base that I am looking for. It’s alright, since the Desert Tan Base is a little too pale for what I was going for. Hopefully the Quickshade dip will add a nice hue to the Ryn Flesh.
It’s interesting: this project makes me want to spray-prime my models, but sometimes when I spray-prime I’m unhappy and wish I had just brush-primed the models! Heh.
Anyway, I will probably finish up the objectives before really working on the Ogres. At that point I am going to get the unit of Ogres (‘Bulls’) at least up to the ready-to-dip stage before either moving on to another unit, or building more models. I only need to build a few more models to run the 1500 and 1600pt lists I’ve made up for our next games, which will hopefully be soon.
Well, that’s it for this Workbench Update. I’ve got some other posts already written or in the works, so expect some more on this blog in the near future. Some if pretty neat!
Thanks for reading.