Right now I’m working on Dream Pod 9‘s Heavy Gear Blitz, with Andrew and Rob. You can find progress of that on our Tale of Gamers blog, instead of here. I might be working on some Alkemy as well, and possibly some other projects that I have yet to finish (i.e. all of them).
However, come January I will be commencing a big undertaking: a 3D/miniaturised version of GMT‘s C&C: Ancients. Perhaps I will start sooner and forego other projects, but this is the plan right now.
Over the last few years as both my boardgaming and miniatures hobbies increased there have been two projects which I have longed to do. Both of them involve taking a wargame (both by GMT, in fact) and creating a minis version of it. I don’t want to change the rules or anything like that. I just want to take the game, blow up the map, and paint a boatload of minis for it.
The first game is Combat Commander. This fine game has all the cinematic feel of a classic episode of the 1960’s show Combat! It’s a wargame with lots of wargamey rules and a nice blend of random elements and neat card-driven mechanics. It’s one of my favourite games, and one I would love to play way more than I do. Actually, local gaming group TABS has begun holding an annual Combat Commander tournament. Yours truly was the inaugural victor last year. I won’t be participating in this year’s (held this coming Saturday, in fact), so I won’t be able to defend my title. Anyway, I love the game, and since I was never able to get into Flames of War, I’ve long felt that using FoW minis on blown-up CC maps would be great. I even picked up basic FoW US and German infantry platoons just in case I ever do decide to carry out this project. And who knows? Maybe I will!
But first will come the other game I’ve wanted to do this for: Commands & Colours: Ancients. This is a very popular GMT title, which has a plethora of expansions, as well as a Napoleonics version (which, of course, I will be picking up soon, and might plan on 3Difiying it as well! I’m horrible!). I really enjoy C&C:A, and of course would also love to play it more than I do. And ever since I picked it up when it was first released, I imagined how cool it would look with minis. I didn’t just want to play an historical minis game like DBA or anything. Well I did, I do, but in this case I wanted to ‘realise’ the exact game with minis. I told myself that one day this would happen, I just didn’t know when.
Well, I somehow stumbled upon Kevin’s Miniatures & Hobby Table, and I learned that this little dream of mine could become a reality. This fellow Canadian gamer, from ‘out West’, did a fantastic job of turning the game, one scenario at least, into a minis game. It took him around six months last year to do, and you can follow his progress by clicking the “Commands and Colours Ancients” label on his blog. It looks like one of his local gamers used 15mm figures in their own version as well, but I’ve always pictured it in 28mm, like Kevin did. Here are a couple of overview shots of the game, but I encourage you to check out his blog for the inspiring progress shots.
*This second pic comes from Bob’s Miniature Wargaming Blog.
**This is my second go at writing this second half of this post, after it was somehow lost. So it is going to be a lot less elegant, I will admit. Argg!**
Okay, so now came the fun part, the research and the decisions. Which C&C expansion to do? Which minis to use? Etc. Etc.
First, I figured that I was going to do Rome vs. Barbarians. A popular set of enemies, with numerous companies’ worth of models available for. Kevin’s version of the game is set here, using expansion no. 2. I don’t have this set, but my friend Scott does, and the excellent site ccancients.net has loads of relevant information.
Next I had to decide on the miniatures. Having already decided to do 28mm helped, as did seeing that Kevin used two companies that I already knew about, Wargames Factory and Warlord Games. Perfect! I already own some Wargames Factory stuff, and I know of Warlord’s quality.
Steps one and two, done. That was easy!
But now came, and still continues, the hard part. The real research and the harder decisions. I now had to figure out what models I needed to purchase in order to make this project work. After looking at the units in the game, and comparing that to the models available from the two companies, I had a nice extensive list of what I would need. Fortunately, all of the necessary models are either made by Wargames Factory and Warlord Games, or can be kitbashed quite easily. And as a bonus, I already own two boxes from Wargames Factory that I will need, Caesar’s Legions and the Numidians. So I am already on track.
Before I make any more purchases I will have to do a bit more research. I need to decide on a scenario to start with. If I focus on one scenario, I can get all of the necessary models done without overwhelming myself. Or at least not over-overwhelming myself. This choice may or may not depend on scenario difficulty, number of units involved, overall coolness factor, etc. I may even play out all the scenarios if I can to help me decide. Or I may just go with Sotium, the one Kevin chose, to make things even easier. We shall see.
So, there you have it, folks. Sorry this second half of the post was extremely lackluster. I wrote for about 30 minutes before I lost my work. I still can’t believe it. It was really good stuff, man! Lots of links and some more pictures and stuff. My second go around I just didn’t have it in me to do. Sorry.
Perhaps I’ll start this project sooner than January. Most likely, considering the amount of work I have to do. And the sooner I complete it, the sooner I can decided whether I want to do a similar project for C&C: Napoleonics and Combat Commander! 🙂 So keep an eye out for “C&C: Ancients in 3D,” which I’ll use in the titles for posts about this project.
Until then, tata.