A few more Screaming Eagles painted up, waiting for basing.
I worked on these three at the same time over the course of a few nights, finishing up half a week ago (as usual, this post is being posted a few days after it was first written). Making it difficult was the fact that I need new brushes, again. Because I keep picking up brushes that are less than ideal for this kind of painting, I tend to go through them too fast.
Anyway, it looked as though the cruddy brushes were going to cause the paintjobs to be cruddy themselves. Before I got the washes down I was a little nervous, as I could see a number of areas that just didn’t look good, but I wasn’t able to go back and fix them.
But once again the magic of GW washes saved the day. They might be of slightly less quality than my test model, but when they’re based and on the battlefield I’m pretty sure no one is going to see the minor imperfections.
The paints used are exactly the same as the test model. I liked the way he came out so much that I’m going to contiue on with those colours. I just remembered, though, that I do need to add black or dark brown to the soles of the boots.
And speaking of basing, I think I’ve committed to using GW bases. My options were these, Warlord’s flatter discs (or metal washer alternatives) or the round-lipped style. My original intention was to go with the latter, as I do love the way 28mm models look on those bases. But I think that maybe those are better suited to games with fewer models on the board as they look more like showpiece models, in my opinion. In a game where I am likely to lose guys pretty frequently (man, what a grim outlook, eh?), looks shouldn’t be so important…they’re not going to stay on the board long enough to enjoy!
I decided against the flat disc style that Warlord uses as I do not really like that look. Too flat for me. Although when based properly they might blend in with their table better. I dunno, it’s just not for me.
So I went with the slotta-style. I know there are a variety of sizes so that I can base individuals, teams and even small artillery pieces on this style of basing. I just need to collect some more. Thankfully they’re cheap. And thankfully Andrew has a handful of extras from his Daemon army (since they come with both square and round bases in the kits).
And that’s all for today. I really should get back to painting Ogres so I can get the army done. I’m so close!
Thanks for reading.