I meant to get a Workbench Update up yesterday, but it’s a good thing I didn’t, as I now have more to show/talk about!
First up we’ve got new Ogres on the table, the Leadbelchers:
I had them primed on Saturday night, and last night I put a coat of Ryn Flesh down. I used a different brush this time, and I am already much happier with how both the primer and the paint are going on. It’s a softer brush, so it’s not scraping as much paint off as I brush. Fantastic! Why didn’t I do this before? 🙂 While I could actually probably get away without a second coat of flesh, I am going to give it one more quick brushover, just to be safe.
I also started painting one of the cannons, as you can see. I just wanted to test out some new metal paints I found I had, Reaper’s Master Series Old Bronze and Coppery Orange. This cannon is actually painted with a mix of the two, as neither one looked good on its own. But I think I have to paint the different guns in different colours, so I’ll have to go through all of my metals and see what works.
Speaking of Reaper’s Coppery Orange:
I was worried that when I wash the models with the Quickshade that the gold I used might not turn bronze-y enough, so I went over all of the appropriate parts on my previously painted Ogres with Coppery Orange. I am likely going to get a chance to ‘dip’ these guys on Wednesday when my older son is in day care and my wife takes the little guy to an appointment. I’m excited to see how it all turns out! If these bronze bits seem to have a reddish hue, I’ll just throw that into their “Bloodstone” fluff, which I haven’t really worked on yet. Maybe once I get a couple of units and characters painted I can think about it a bit more.
Another thing I started working on yesterday was a Malifaux model, Seamus’s totem the Copycat Killer:
A project that I’m really considering in the near future is to go back and strip my Seamus crew and repaint them up to my current standards of painting. One thing I am ‘meh’ about with Seamus is the green of his outfit. So while working on the Copycat Killer, which is pretty much a mini version of Seamus (albeit a little more leprechaun-y), I wanted to try something new. This time I base coated the outfit and big hat in P3 Wurm Green, then gave it a wash with P3 Turqoise Ink. Although it’s a little shiny in places, it’s a nice colour. So far I like the look, and will probably use it if/when I repaint Seamus.
And speaking of Turqoise Ink, while getting out paints from my fancy paintpot holder (i.e. a random cardboard insert to a 1/6th scale figure), I pulled out two models I started working on sometime at the end of 2012, Bosun Grogspar and a Khaliman Republic Malikh Jaraya:
I think I worked on these right after I finished the cowboys, and before I started building Ogres and painting the Khador models. As you can see I didn’t get very far on the bosun, only getting some of the outfit colours and his skin down (Turqoise Ink over a white prime, I believe). I got quite a bit further on the catman. He is almost finished, actually. And I have to say I am very impressed with how his skin came out, including his leopard spots. He was white primed, and I gave his skin washes of I believe (GW) Gryphonne Sepia or (GW) Seraphim Sepia (I wish I wrote it down!), building up layers in the areas that had to be darker. His spots are, I believe, rings of (P3) Coal Black with (GW) Baal Red wash in the centre. I’m pretty sure that’s how I did it. The pants as well came out really well. I’ll finish these guys up soon and take better pictures, and hopefully you’ll be able to see a bit better how it all came out.
Well, that’s what’s on the workbench these days. The Copycat Killer should be done shortly, followed by the Leadbelchers. I’ll get the last two random dudes done too, and by then I’ll surely have other things down on the table as well.
Thanks for reading.