Well, last night I officially started my Dreadfleet project.
I only got so far as to desprue, clean up and partially assemble the Heldenhammer and the Bloody Reaver, the two flagships and the first two required ships for Scenario 1.
Here is the Heldenhammer in its subassemblies, ready for priming:
Here is another shot, where hopefully you can see the amount of detail GW has modelled on these ships:
And here is the Bloody Reaver, in its subassemblies, ready for priming:
And again, a detail shot:
There are a number of ways to go about painting these ships. After spending some time yesterday reading the Dreadfleet edition of White Dwarf, reading some blogs and watching some videos, I decided to assemble them as shown. The Heldenhammer, while full of details, does not have as many hidden ones as the Bloody Reaver, so I think fully assembling it, sans sails, will be fine. The Reaver, though, with 4 parts making up the hull alone, I will work on a little more piecemeal. I opted to attach the 2 parts of the two halves together, even though it will mean I will have to work a little harder to get to a few small details inside. Both ships will have their sails completed separately, as they will take a bit of extra effort because of the graphics on those. Thankfully they are raised details, so that should make it easier than if I had to do it freehand.
As I go along I will do my best to take lots of pictures and some videos to document my progress, as well as regular “The Captain’s Log” posts. I won’t do one every day, but I will keep it logged properly enough so that we’ll see how long it takes for me to finish certain parts of the project.
Tonight I will go back to despruing the rest of the parts I need for the first scenario, like the measuring sticks and terrain. I did not get a chance to pick up any brushes yesterday, and I’d like to get some Vallejo brush-on primer for this project. The primer alone will have to wait until Tuesday, so I’ve got a few days to prepare myself. I may try the brush-on primer I have, at least on the bases, but I haven’t been overly impressed with the smoothness it leaves behind, so we’ll see. It’s also white, and I was planning on going with something darker for these ships, because of all the crevices.
Until I’ve got more up, you can enjoy some other people’s Dreadfleet projects that I’ve been admiring and using to get me motivated for this project:
Garfy and Sigur at Tale of Painters have a bunch of pictures posted of their great work.
I’ll post some more links later on of other cool Dreadfleet projects. Until then, back to work on my own!
Thanks for reading.