Here is Mongo, in all his gargantuan glory! (sorry about the fuzzy face)
Wednesday afternoon I asked Andrew what I should paint next, giving him the list of the remaining Outcasts and Showgirls that I mentioned in my last post. He said Mongo, and so I started him that night, putting down both layers of skin and the concrete on his blocks. Thursday my son had a hard time falling asleep, so I didn’t get anything done. Friday night I plugged away and got Mongo up to everything but metals, a couple of details, and touch-ups. Saturday night I plugged away a little more, and at about 1 in the morning the washes were dry and I assembled the beast.
I went with the same colours and techniques that I have been using with the rest of the Outcasts. Especially the Brutes, which I consider Mongo just an extra big version of. Lots of drab colours with hints of brightness here and there (green undies, red leg armour backing like one of the Brutes). Ogryn Flesh Wash on everything but the concrete slabs, which got Badab Black. One issue I had was that since I painted him in three parts, there is now a big ol’ crack along one arm where his hand meets the rest of him. Bah. Will need to fix that up at some point.
I considered finding ways to make him stand out in quality, but I decided that I’d rather him fit in with the rest as much as possible. As much as possible when the guy stands nearly twice as tall as the regular Joes! I will go back at a later date to add some highlights and touch-ups where needed, especially that crack in the arm, but for now I’m really happy with him.
Tonight I’ll get cracking on the next figure, be it an Outcast or a Showgirl, as yet to be decided.
Thanks for reading.