Well, those bases took less time than I thought they would! They were actually finished last night, edges and all. As I had run out of glue, however, I could not add any of the models to the bases, and so had to wait until today when I picked up a new bottle of Loctite Gel, my super glue of choice.
The warband is “nearly” complete because I’m missing 4 of the bases needed for the Slaves (Andrew has them). He’ll give them to me primed, so it’ll take very little time to get them ready. I’ll probably pick them up either tomorrow or Tuesday, and so have the entirety of this starter set complete by Sunday or Wednesday.
Which is great, as I’m quite looking forward to actually playing this game!
Anyway, here are some bad pictures of the completed models:
The Soul Warden, the Warband’s only Trueborn.
A Slave Taskmaster pushing a bunch of Spear Slaves to fight.
Shard and Sling Slaves also along for the fight.
Well, overall I’m happy with how these models turned out. I’m quite pleased with the Slaves, somewhat happy with the Soul Warden, and pretty happy with the bases. I do like how the ice turned out (method below), although the edging did not come out as well as I had hoped it would. It’s likely due to laziness and rushing the job, but the inner rim of the edge was not as defined as they usually are with Dragon Forge bases, so it was a little difficult in that regard. However, overall I’m happy, and I know they’ll look just fine on the tabletop.
I started with a white prime (gesso brushed on, as I couldn’t get out on when the weather was perfect for priming on Wednesday), and laid down a 50/50 mix of Arcane Blue and Cygnar Blue Base. Next came a 50/50 mix of the first colour and Frostbite, using a technique somewhere between regular painting and drybrushing. I actually did it in a variety of ways, and if you look close at the bases you’ll see that they have different patterns and styles, as I couldn’t really decide exactly how to do it. By the end of the 11 bases, they all looked similar enough from a foot away. Lastly, I used pure Frostbite to highlight the edges, mostly. I decided not to go with a final highlight of Morrow White this time, as I felt it wasn’t necessary. The edges I did with Cygnar Blue Highlight.
And that’s it! All I had to do was glue the already-painted models on, and voila. Yes, note that I did not pin the models, which I do not do. I think I mentioned previously that other models I’ve added resin bases to have come off, but after a second gluing they have stuck on tight. I’m an easy going guy, so as long as the model doesn’t shatter or get all chipped when it comes off, I’m alright with it, and just reglue it.
I’m not sure if I’m going to display these models at Meeplemart with my Malifaux, Freebooter’s Fate (and possibly Heavy Gear Blitz!) stuff. Probably, though. At least when they’re there, I can take some better photos of them, in good lighting and with nice terrain.
Oh! Speaking of nice terrain at Meeplemart, here is one of the tables that is available to be played on there:
It’s great for games like Infinity and MERCS. Most of what’s on there is Miniature Building Authority stuff. It’s high-priced, but high quality as well.
Heck, since I’m putting up a bunch of pictures, here’s another of my son, this time caught jam-faced:
What a cutie.
Anyway, that’s it for tonight. While gluing the figures on and typing this up, I’m watching some youtube videos, namely Wargamingforfun’s 2nd battle in their Skaven vs. Dwarf underground campaign. I love their battle reports. You should too. Heck, now that you’ve finished with this post, head on over to youtube and check them out!
Thanks for reading.