Well, it’s been three weeks since I posted a Workbench Update, so I’m sure you’re itching to know what I’m working on.
Just before I left for vacation (which accounts for two of those missing three weeks), my Dragon Forge order came in. I got a bunch of their Ice Kingdom bases to split between myself and Andrew (my Dark Age Dragyri, his Malifaux December’s Cult), and some Wasteland II for my Dark Age Outcasts.
Here are some of the ice bases, 10 30mm and 1 50mm, cleaned up and ready for priming:
Note, they don’t actually look this orange, but rather a proper resin grey.
As usual, I love the quality of these bases. Dragon Forge is my go-to producer of fine resin bases. All of my Malifaux models are based on DF bases, as will be my Dark Age models. I also have a bunch of unused Concrete bases that were for Pulp City models, but I never went anywhere with that. I forsee myself picking up DF bases for pretty much all my future resin base needs. Plus I’m still planning on putting together a proper review of the bases, as soon as time allows.
Speaking of time, let’s look at the projects that are currently taking up my said time.
With all of the Dragyri Warband models painted, I am currently working on their bases. And I mean currently. Those bases you see above got a gesso brush prime just a short time ago, so I won’t be able to start painting them until tomorrow. Just before starting this post I snipped all of the tabs from the Dragyri models and cleaned up the mess left behind, so I’m one step closer to getting the whole lot fully completed. It had been quite a few weeks since I handled the various Slave models, and while doing so tonight I remembered how much I liked how they turned out.
The bases will probably take me a couple of days, at least, to complete, so I probably won’t be able to get too far into the Outcast Warband before having to split my time between them and the upcoming Alkemy Tale of Gamers I’ve agreed to.
We’re supposed to start in a week on May 1. Andrew’s good to go, especially as he’s already gotten a head start with his Avalonians. I’m somewhat worried that Rob and Ilan will flake out of the project, much like they did with the Warhammer Tale of Gamers from last summer. Perhaps May 1 is a bad day to start these things?
As I’m doing the Khaliman Republic, I’ve got the probably huge challenge of painting fur, as everyone in the faction is a cat-person. I say probably because I’ve never really had to paint fur before, so it could go either way…although I’m forseeing the challenge to be high, to be honest. The good news is, I’ve actually got two starter sets to play with, so I have a couple of extra models to test the fur-painting process on.
I’d like to finally get some unboxing videos done using both the Outcast Warband and Khaliman Republic Starter, but since I gave my video camera to Andrew to see if he can write a report on yesterday’s WHFB game, I won’t be able to do any of that for at least a week. If I have time, I might cheat and go ahead and open up the Outcasts, clean them up, take pictures and rebag them. I’m sure you’ll forgive me. I’ve got plenty to keep me busy if I do wait, so no worries there.