Abuela, freshly woken up from her nap, is ready to join the rest of the Ortega clan.
I don’t normally show the backs of models, but I wanted to show off her cool bandolier of shotgun shells.
- Dress: Coal Black base, 50/50 Trollblood Highlight/Coal Black highlight, 75/25 highlight.
- Smock: Bloodtracker Brown base, Bootstrap Leather highlight, Ogryn Flesh wash.
- Hat: Cryx Bane Base base, details in Cygnar Blue Highlight, Necrotite Green, Khador Red Highlight, ‘Jack Bone + Ogryn Flesh wash.
- Skin: Midlund Flesh with Ogryn Flesh wash.
- Hair: Morrow White base, Badab Black wash.
- Bandolier: Umbral Umber base, Bootstrap Leather highlight, Glorious Gold tips, Khador Red Base bottoms.
- Shotgun: Pig Iron barrel + Badab Black wash, Gun Corps Brown base, Battlefield Brown lines, Beast Hide highlight.
- Boots: Thamar Black base, Ironhull Grey highlight.
- Purse: Bloodstone, Baal Red wash (I believe).
I’ve found a couple of spots that need touching up, and I need to re-paint the edge of her base to red (it was originally intended for Ramos’ crew).
I opted not to give her a colourful trim at the bottom of her smock, or a design on her cuffs, as I’m not yet proficient enough at freehand to do them well. I think that fewer splashes of colour keep her in-tone with the rest of the Family, so those details aren’t missed.
And that, my dear readers, completes the Ortega Family models! And she only took me two days! As I said in my post on Tale of Gamers, I could still pick up an Enslaved Nephilim and Latigos Pistoleros, but I’m not planning on it right now. As I like keeping the Family theme close-knit, as it were, I won’t be adding any other Guild models to this army. While I love the mix ‘n match-ability of the various ‘sub-factions’ within each Malifaux faction, I personally try and keep the theme as connected as possible. So I wouldn’t have Witchling Stalkers or Judge here with the Perditas, even though I know it’s entirely legal and all that. I wouldn’t be opposed to mixing non-Family members with one of the other Masters or two (I used to dream of playing a big Brawl with Lady J and Sonnia Crid, and all their relative minions). But as I have other, non-Malifaux projects to work on, such an endeavour will have to wait indefinitely.
Now that I’ve completed both the Soul Warden and Abuela, my focus for the next two days will be to clean and build as many Empire models as I can for my next 1000pt game against Andrew’s Lizards on Tuesday. While I have quite enjoyed using only painted models in recent months with Malifaux, I’m forced to use unpainted, and even unprimed models for WHFB. Meh, I can forgive myself with mass army games like this. I hope you can forgive me too.
Thanks for reading.