So around midnight I put the finishing touches on my Dragyri Soul Warden. He was the last of the Dragyri Warband models that I needed to finish, so now all I need are those Dragon Forge bases to come in and I can get the whole group properly finished, from top to bottom. At that point I’ll post some group pictures, of course.
Here he is, baseless for now (as usual, he does look better in real life, I promise):
After completing the Slaves I came to the Soul Warden not completely knowing my paint scheme. I did know that he would be grey-skinned and wearing blues, both of which differentiate him from the Slaves (tan-skinned and wearing browns). Although after I had started painting him, I looked at his stat card and he too was wearing browns. I figure, though, that the brighter colours help him rise above the masses, where his Trueborn status dictates him to be.
Other than still not fully grasping how to properly highlight clothing, the real pain was getting his blade to look ice-like. In real life, I don’t think it turned out too bad. I’ve seen better ice, but for something I painted up in half an hour with no pre-testing, I think it’s good. I will likely use the same technique (explained below) for the ice bases that all of the Dragyri are going to reside on.
Here’s how I painted him:
- Skin: Trollblood Highlight base, Ogryn Flesh wash.
- Cloak: Exile Blue base, Cygnar Blue Base and Cygnar Blue Highlight highlights.
- Skirt: Meredius Blue base, Arcane Blue highlight, Asurmen Blue wash.
- Armour: Bloodtracker Brown base, Molten Bronze brush, Ogryn Flesh + Baal Red + Devlan Mud washes.
- Gold Trim: Rucksack Tan base, Glorious Gold (Vallejo) brush, Gryphonne Sepia wash.
- Tube Dongles: Arcane Blue cylinder, Tin Bitz casing.
- Wrist/Ankle Wraps: ‘Jack Bone base, Devlan Mud wash.
- Staff: Pig Iron shaft, wrap as above, bronze as above.
- Ice Blade: 50/50 Arcane Blue/Cygnar Blue Base base; brush with same 50/50 same mix/Frostbite; highlight with Frostbite then Morrow White.
- Blade Details: Arcane Blue shard/cylinders, Molten Bronze fastener things,Pig Iron bands.
And that’s it. Hopefully any further Dragyri Trueborn can be painted with a similar scheme for consitency’s sake.
As it’s Good Friday, I won’t be getting the Dragon Forge bases until next week. Which means I have this weekend to:
- Paint Abuela Ortega.
- Build my unbuilt Empire models so I can up my point level and change my list for a potential game against Andrew on Tuesday.
I like the idea of flipping back and forth each week between two of the games I’d like to play the most, Malifaux and Warhammer Fantasy. Soon I/we will be throwing Dark Age and Alkemy into the mix, once I’ve painted my Outcasts and we’ve started our Alkemy Tale of Gamers. Of course I don’t want to drop Malifaux and WHFB, so it is hopeful that game nights in the near future will see two miniatures games being played. Keep an eye out for updates and reports on all these games. And more.
Thanks for reading.