Well, now that it’s March I feel this is a good point to stop and say, “Hey Justin, how’s that Game Plan 2012 going?” So, let’s take a look at how 2012 is stacking up for me, hobbywise, shall we?
First, my original goals for 2012, as posted on December 14, 2011, and how they’re looking:
- Clean up my room: Pfft, hasn’t happened yet.
- Man Cave: Not even close.
- C&C Ancients in 3D: Only marginally closer than I was back then. This project has been put on hold.
- A Call to Arms: Fail! Never made it past playing that first learning game with Andrew.
- Reboot Malifaux: Success! We are currently playing this every Tuesday, and we wrangled Scott into the game as well. See Tale of Gamers for more.
- Reboot Heavy Gear Blitz!: I’ve painted my army, so it’s just a matter of getting Rob and Andrew to work on theirs, then play.
- Reboot Warmachine: Other locals play this, but I am only slowly working on that Cygnar army. Very slowly.
- Battlestations!: Other than being highly interested and painting up some robots, this hasn’t gone anywhere either.
- Pulp: Not yet. I think this has been replaced by Old West, but you never know.
- Leviathans: The game hasn’t been released yet! Grr!
- Keep it Low Key: Well, I haven’t gone and spent a tonne of cash on a single game yet, other than about $100 on GameCraft Old West buildings. My updated plan for 2012 sort of follows the KiLK idea…but cheats it a little…
Even though I have only successfully accomplished ONE of my initial goals, the first two months of 2012 has been pretty positive hobbywise. I have gotten a lot painted. A lot more than ever before. Off the top of my head, I’ve finished entire crews for Heavy Gear Blitz, Malifaux and Freebooter’s Fate, plus a handful of other models for Warmachine, WHFB and 40k (technically). I’m pretty proud of that, and I hope to not only continue the good work, but increasing my productivity a bit more.
Here is my updated Game Plan 2012:
- Clean my room/Man Cave: With my brother giving us my nephew’s old bedroom furniture soon, I might have to actively get cracking on this dual-project.
- Sell old models: I have a lot of stuff I don’t use, or plan on using again. It’s time to make room and get back some cash for it.
- Keep it Low Key: Well, I’m not planning on “Going Big or Going Home” with any game systems these days. However, I am cheating this a bit and going more the sampler platter route, picking up starters for multiple games. See below for my monthly plan. While this is a bad idea in general, because it means I’ll have even more games, and less time to play each one, I like this because I get to paint different models for different systems, and cover a variety of colours, schemes and styles.
- Paint! Paint! Paint! I want to keep the painting going. I’m hoping any vacations or whatnot I take this year don’t derail my current productivity.
- Blog less, blog better: Like I said in my recent post, I’m not going to post daily, but rather try and make my posts heavier, fuller, more meaningful.
I’m not going to cover things like Battlestations! or C&C Ancients right now, as I don’t know if they’re coming off the list, or just moving around. So the above points do not necessarily make up the newplan, just add/alter it a bit.
Here is what I’m thinking about covering as my main projects over the next few months:
- March: Dark Age. I’m going to pick up a starter box this Tuesday (likely Dragyri). I’ve applied for the Legion, and if I do join I’ll get a second starter (Outcasts?) to run demos with. If I can wrangle other players beforehand, I would also consider Forsaken as my second army to show the game with. But Dragyri is my main choice (namely the Ice Caste dudes, which I chose before the Ice Caste got their current popularity).
- April: Urban War. Like I said in an earlier Miniature Temptations post, I’m drawn to this game. I’ll pick up Junkers and Viridian starters, and hopefully join the Legion to demo it as well. There are enough non-starter models that interest me, but not enough to overwhelm me.
- May: Hell Dorado. Heh, even if I can’t convince anyone to get into this with me, I’m going to pick up a Westerners starter and paint it up. I love their look. And I should have realised it before, but they would make great proxies for Imperial Armada in Freebooter’s Fate.
- June: Dark Eldar. We (as a group) might get into 40k in July. I’d like to get my Dark Eldar battleforce early and get a head start. I’m going to start with this box and only expand once they are finished. I won’t make the same mistake I made with WHFB, even Empire in our Tale of Gamers challenge.
Anyway, that’s the plan. That doesn’t mean these are the only games I will buy, paint and play. I guarantee we will continue to play Malifaux regularly. We (Loy, Andrew and I, specificaly) will learn Freebooter’s Fate. We will play Warmachine/Hordes, Warhammer Fantasy, etc. etc. etc. I will paint stuff for all of these games, as well as continue my various other projects.
I am an ambitious guy, especially when it comes to my Game Plan. We will check back in in May or June, and see how things have gone, and what has changed.
Until then, keep reading for updates on all of my various projects, and see where this hobby takes me.
Thanks for reading.