While I started this project earlier than originally planned, I stalled a bit after painting a bunch of Roman soldiers. So, to keep this thing going, I spent a few minutes last night building the rest of the Wargames Factory Roman soldiers that would make up the Medium Infantry. I actually built up another 18, giving me a few extra guys. Then, today, I stuck them to a paint stir stick (thank you Walmart paint department!), along with the dozen Wargames Factory Numidians that are the Light Infantry and Sling unit, and primed them. I once again used Krylon brown primer, which I continue to love.
Which means I now have 18 Roman Legionaires, 27 Roman Legionaire shields, 12 Numidians and 4 Numidian shields to paint up. I would like to do all of this before January is through, so I can move on to the next batch of units (cavalry, I think). I don’t think that three weeks is asking too much, as once I fell into the groove of painting the previous batch I got pretty quick about it.
I’m not worrying about bases right now, as I’m still not exactly sure how I’ll be basing them all. I’m going to wait until I see how much room the cavalry units take up before I do so. And before I order the felt Command mat from Hotz Mats.
It’s funny…I look at what’s on my painting table here (these 30 dudes and their shields) and I think, “not so bad.” And then I look at the list of what’s coming up…12 Roman Auxilia, 2 Roman Scorpions and crew, 9 Roman Cavalry, 15 Germanic Cavalry, 16 Germanic Warriors and *sigh* 28 Germanic Auxilia. And I still don’t exactly know how I’m going to differentiate the various Germanic Infantry!
Adding it all up that’s 25 Romans (+ 2 Scorpions and 9 horses) and 49 Germans (+ 15 horses). About 100 or so pieces to buy, build and paint, on top of the Romans I’m finishing in January. If I can pump out an average of 1 figure per day, though, it will only take me until the end of April to complete them. If I give myself another month to finish basing them all and complete the terrain, I’ll be done with a couple weeks to spare before the June TABSCon, where I’m hoping to preview this project to the world. Well, to those Toronto-area attendees of the little con, at least 🙂
Wish me luck!