After priming some legionaries the other day I couldn’t wait to start painting them. I had originally wanted to start this project in January, but knowing my track record with painting projects, I figured I needed to start as early as possible! So, as soon as they were ready I started painting. I completed one guy so I could test out some Army Painter Quickshade. While he dried I couldn’t wait, and didn’t want to lose momentum (yes, I consider priming 13/118 models and painting 1 momentum). I also figured that this would make for a nice way to get a blog post up, which might also help me keep momentum going.
So this is how I’m painting the Roman Legionaries (again, from Wargames Factory). There are likely quicker and definitely better ways to paint an army like this, but so far this method is working for me. All paints used are Privateer Press P3 paints.
Step 1: Krylon Brown primer.
Step 2: Skin using Midlund Flesh.
Step 3: Chainmail, gladium blade and Pilum tips using Quick Silver.
Step 4: Helmet using Molten Bronze.
Step 5: Clothing using Khador Red Base.
Step 6: Belt, scabbards, Pilum shaft, sandals, armour trim using Bootstrap Leather.
Step 7: Finishing touches (gladium and daggar handles using Thamar Black) and clean up.
Step 8: Shading using Quickshade Strong Tone.
Step 9: I will need to spray them with an anti-shine, and then I may or may not add highlights. I’m thinking may not, since I have 118 figures, including 24 cavalry and 2 scorpions with crews, for this scenario. I have a long way to go, but I am definitely confident.
Step 10: Adding the figures to bases. I still haven’t decided exactly how I’ll do this, though. I’ll figure it out later, though.
Well, that is where I am at right now. Actually, once I click ‘publish’ I am going to get back to painting these guys. I think I can get all 9 legionaries complete by tonight, and the 4 command figures finished by tomorrow. Then I can start on the nex batch.